What are the Benefits of SSD Storage for Your VPS Server?
Virtual Private Server Hosting, or VPS, has remained one of the favourites among small and medium enterprises to host their website. It is rightly considered to provide the mean solution between purchasing a completed Dedicated Server and sharing one server with multiple websites as in Shared Hosting. The virtualized environment in VPS Hosting provides better reliability and security without making a hole in your pocket. However, if we delve deeper, it may get confusing to choose from a few options that are available within VPS Hosting. One classification is based on the type of storage used to store data on the server. The Solid State Drives (SSD) is seen as an up-gradation over the traditional Hard Disk Drives (HDDs).
What is SSD VPS Hosting?
Simply put, SSD VPS Hosting is the type of VPS Hosting plan where the provider uses the modern SSD storage drives on the server instead of the traditional HDDs. To understand how it can benefit your website, it is important to understand its underlying mechanism and the difference it can make against using its older counterpart.
- Built: An SSD device uses an electric circuit to store information, unlike HDDs which has lots of moving parts. This enhances the reading and writing capability of the disk.
- Data vulnerability: Making use of flash memory to store data, an SSD disk is more reliable and less prone to deleting data accidentally. On the other hand, an HDD device uses a magnetic disk to store data which can accidentally erase all the data.
- Battery and noise: SSD storage disks consume less power as compared to an HDD device. Also, the moving parts in an HDD disk make a lot of noise while running, while the SSD produces no vibrations.
Advantages of SSD storage
- Better reliability and security: The elimination of moving parts prevents it from wearing out easily. Data is securely stored for a longer time. HDDs consist of moving parts which are vulnerable to wearing out easily causing loss of data. This feature makes SSD storage a must for people storing personal information such as credit card details.
- Improved website speed: As stated above, SSDs use flash memory to store data, which offers a better read/ write speed. This enhances website speed leading to better customer experience. Also, flash memory puts a lesser strain on the server, improving the performance of the server.
- Better SEO: Website speed and user experience are the most important factors when it comes to ranking your website on top of the search engine results. Using an SSD storage disk coupled with VPS Hosting can provide a better opportunity for your website to climb on top of the search engine ladder.
- Environment-friendly: Since a typical SSD storage drive consumes lesser energy, it is considered a greener option than the traditional HDDs.
- Cost-effective: Although SSDs are costlier than the HDDs, it gives bang for your bucks in the longer run. If you do the cost-benefit analysis of both, you will realize SSDs score over their counterpart in all aspects.
A Virtual Private Server Hosting provides a cost-effective solution for growing websites as they have the capability to tackle a huge volume of traffic along with providing better security and reliability. However, if your hosting provider uses SSD disks for storing data on the server, it can give a further boost to your website as its performance is highly optimized.