Nine Top Window Styles Explained
There are countless types and styles of windows to choose from, ranging from simple single-paned windows to elaborate custom window installation options. Here are some of the most popular styles we install here in Kansas City.
- Single Hung Windows: The most affordable style of windows is single hung, which means that the lower sash moves up and down while the top remains stationary.
- Double Hung Windows: Double hung windows are like single hung, but both the upper and lower sash can move up and down with this popular design.
- Bay Windows: These windows protrude from exterior walls and create additional shelving space. One window is center-set flat, and the side panes are angled between 30-40 degrees.
- Casement Windows: Casement windows open in an upward motion, or they swing out to the side. These windows offer superior views.
- Egress Windows: Egress windows are ideal for your Kansas City basement, as these safety windows can provide an alternate escape route in times of emergencies that impede doorway exits.
- Garden Windows: These are a smaller version of bay windows that many install solely to use as a mini-greenhouse for small plants and herbs.
- Skylight Windows: Skylights are windows situated in ceilings. They are a good choice for those seeking additional natural light indoors but have limited ability to alter exterior walls to add traditional windows.
- Storm Windows: Storm windows are popular in the Kansas City region, as they offer an extra layer of protection to block temperatures, high winds and flying debris. They fit into the same frame as current windows.
- Custom Window Installation: A custom window installation is perfect for those who don’t find a standard window style that appeals to them. A professional will take measurements and help you design the perfect windows.