How To Host A Website With Shared Hosting?
Launching your first website is an exciting experience. However, there are multiple technical aspects involved too. Right from choosing the type of website to creating optimized content, SEO keywords, and finally choosing the perfect hosting plan, it is an overwhelming journey for the first-time site owner. There are many companies offering web hosting plans in India, with options like Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, VPS Hosting, etc.
Most new site owners opt for Shared Web Hosting services since they are affordable and offer the basic features required to launch a site online. If you are planning to buy a Shared Server Hosting plan, then this article will help you understand the steps that you need to follow to host your site with Shared Hosting.
How to host a website with Shared Hosting?
There are many hosting companies offering Shared Hosting in India. Before you buy a plan, assess the resource requirement of your site and compare plans and providers. Remember, your website resides on the server. Therefore, its performance depends on that of the server. For the sake of explaining the steps, we have considered a Linux-based Shared Hosting plan with cPanel as the control panel. Once you have chosen the right Shared Hosting plan follow these steps to get started:
- Log in to cPanel using a web browser.
- On our computer, create a ZIP file of all the files needed for your site to run. Upload the ZIP to the root directory of your site – like public_html). You can do this via the File Manager option available with cPanel.
- Once uploaded, extract the files by using the Extract icon on the menu bar of cPanel.
- Some websites work on a database. If that is the case with your site, then you will have to create a new MySQL user in cPanel and a new MySQL database. Once this is created, you can import your site’s database to the server. This can be done easily using phpMyAdmin.
- If you have not created a website yet, then you can use the site builder tools provided by the host to create a new one.
- Most Shared Hosting providers offer Softaculous to help you install applications needed to run and manage your site with ease. Go through the options available and install the ones you need.
- Change the name servers of your domain name or the A record of the domain name to point it to the IP address of the Shared Hosting server. You can make these changes by visiting the website of the domain registrar.
These simple steps can help you get your site up and running on a Shared Hosting server. Also, when you buy the plan, ensure that you look for a provider who offers support to help you get started too.
If you need further guidance, you can also check out the following video that guides you in hosting your website with Shared Hosting:
While many new site owners get overwhelmed while choosing the right web hosting plan and getting their site up and running, following the steps mentioned above can help approach the process in a systematic manner. Remember, running and managing a website requires some technical knowledge about web servers and how sites work. Ensure that you update your knowledge and establish a successful website. Good Luck!